colonel a participant in World War II, Full cavalier of the Order of Glory (March 23, 1963)

   Born on September 13, 1926 in the city of Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, in a working class family. Russian.
   He lived in the city of Salyan (Azerbaijan), in 1941 he graduated from 7 classes. He entered the Baku Naval College, which had to be left for family reasons.
   Having received the specialty of a turner, he worked at the Krasny Dvigat factory in Kuibyshev (now Samara), then in Samarkand, where the plant was evacuated and from where in June 1943 he volunteered for the Red Army.
   Since August of that year at the front. Almost the entire combat path was the scout of the 193rd Plastun Infantry Regiment of the 9th Plastun Infantry Division. On April 25, 1944, in the area northwest of the city of Chernivtsi (Ukraine), the Red Army Kapitonov, being in intelligence, discovered a group of enemy soldiers and, going into their flank, suddenly opened fire and hit 8 Nazis.
   On April 29, while conducting reconnaissance in the same area as part of an reconnaissance group, he discovered the Nazis before the platoon, timely reported this to the commander, and personally killed 4 soldiers in the ensuing battle.
   By order of June 14, 1944, the Red Army soldier Kapitonov Mikhail Mikhailovich was awarded the Order of Glory of the 3rd degree.
   On March 17, 1943, with a marching company, he arrived in the 871th Infantry Regiment (276th Infantry Division, 4th Ukrainian Front) in the area of the city of Uzhhorod (Czechoslovakia, from 1945 – Ukraine) and was appointed a company shooter.
   On December 11-13, 1944, the reconnaissance platoon of the pedestrian reconnaissance of the 871th Infantry Regiment, the Red Army soldier Kapitonov, being in the reconnaissance, successfully completed the tasks of identifying enemy firing points. Near the settlement of Dargov (24 km west of the city of Mikhalovce, Czechoslovakia), he stealthily approached the location of the Nazis and, after engaging in a shootout with them, established the location of enemy firing points and the front line of defense. In this battle he was seriously wounded, but he did not leave the battlefield. He spent 4 months in the hospital and the regiment did not return, did not find out about the award.
   By order of January 28, 1945, the Red Army soldier Kapitonov Mikhail Mikhailovich was awarded the Order of Glory of the 3rd degree (repeatedly).
   After treatment at the hospital on April 14, 1945, Kapitonov again arrived at the reconnaissance platoon of the 193rd Plastun Regiment, located in the Czech forests near the city of Moravsk-Ostrava. During the day, scouts participated in battles like ordinary shooters, and at night went to reconnaissance of enemy positions.
   On April 23, 1945, Sergeant Kapitonov, being in a head watch in the vicinity of the Skrzhipov settlement (12 km south of the city of Opava, Czechoslovakia), started a battle with the Nazis trying to penetrate the rear of our troops, and 6 of them were defeated. Kapitonov, along with the watchmen, captured 2 machine guns and 8 enemy machine guns.
   April 27, as part of a group of scouts in battle, risking his life, saved the commander from the danger that threatened him. In one of the last battles he was shell-shocked and again went to the hospital.
   By order of June 24, 1945, the Red Army soldier Kapitonov Mikhail Mikhailovich was awarded the Order of Glory 3 degrees (third time).
   After the war he continued to serve in the army.
   By a decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of March 23, 1963, «For the exemplary performance of command assignments in battles against Nazi invaders,» Mikhail Kapitonov was awarded the Order of Glory of the 1st and 2nd degree.
   Since December 1986, Colonel Kapitonov retired. He lived in the city of Ryazan.
   He died on February 20, 1995. He was buried at the Sorrowful cemetery in Ryazan.